Roadworthy Certificate Checklist
Our workshop will remain open to provide you with expert car service.
Under stage 4 restrictions, Azzco Deluxe Garage are a permitted industry for the purposes of automotive repair and critical maintenance to essential services & trade, and to maintain the health and safety of Victorians at home or at work. Please contact us to make a booking.
Want to know more about how we are dealing with the Covid crisis? Click Here
RWC Checks - What to check to help your vehicle pass a Certificate of Roadworthiness
If you want to be able to pass a Roadworthy Examination it helps to understand what the mechanic conducting the vehicle inspection will be considering when deciding if the car is roadworthy or not.
The following checklist may help you to make sure your vehicle will be able to succesfully pass a Roadworthy Inspection.
Brake & Braking Systems - RWC Checks
Brakes and warning systems are an essential safety feature of all vehicles and must be in good working order to pass a roadworthy examination
- All components must function correctly, be mounted securely and correctly located
- All brake components must be free from visible wear, distortion or damage
- Vehicle parking and emergency brakes must be functioning correctly
- Park brakes must be capable of keeping the vehicle stationary on any grade of hill
- Brake lights (warning signs) must be fitted correctly and functioning
- Car horn must be working correctly
- Brake systems must be free of leaks
- Brake linings must not be worn down to the wear indicators
Chassis & Vehicle Body RWC Checks
To pass a Roadworthy Inspection a vehicle must have;
- An absence of any condition able to cause structural failure or affect safe operation
- A sound floor, free of obstructions or any condition which could hamper safe operation
- Functioning mechanisms , inc doors, boots, Ute lids, bonnets, hatches & tailgates
- Bumper bars which eliminate sharp corners or protrusions must be securely fitted
- Towbars (when present) should be in good condition and correctly fitted
- Vehicles with a tray type body require suitable mudflaps for the vehicle type
General Vehicle - RWC Checks
To pass a Certificate of Roadworthiness examination, a car should be generally in a good condition.
All accessories should function correctly without impeding performance and must be suitable for the intended task.
(Plastic emergency or temporary fuel caps are not acceptable and will not pass inspection)
Lights, Reflectors and Signals - RWC Checks
Light requirements vary greatly with vehicle type, but as a general rule all vehicles must be fitted with;
Seatbelts & Seats - RWC Checks
Seatbelts need to be present and free of damage or obstructions whilst being secure and structurally sound. All seats, partcularlt the drivers seat, must be in good condition and fitted securely to the vehicle.
Suspension & Steering RWC Checks
The vehicle must drive straight, without wandering or pulling left or right when driving straight ahead. All steering components must be securely and correctly mounted and free from damage or excessive wear, including dust and grease seals.
Wheels and Tyres - RWC Checks
Tyres and wheels play a crucial role in safety and a vehicles' ability to stop quickly and safely in an emergency situation. To pass a Roadworthiness Examination yourwheels and tyres need to be in good condition and free of any damage or wear which could cause failure of the rims, tyres or wheels or otherwise compromise vehicle safety.
Windows & Windscreen - RWC Checks
All windows need to be free of damage and must not be altered to the extent that it hampers safe vehicle operation. Impairment of a drivers vision of the road as a result of significant cracks, chips or scratches may cause the car to fail a roadworthy test.
Minor wear and tear is sometimes deemed acceptable provided the drivers vision is not impacted. Windscreens with tinting included included during manufacture are acceptable. Tinting applied via coatings or tint films post manufacture is unacceptable.
To pass a Certificate of Roadworthiness vehicle windows should;
Roadworthy tests must be performed by a Licensed Vehicle Tester such as Azzco Deluxe Garage.